Monday, March 5, 2012

My kid isn't a social outcast!

Dario is an amazing kid.  And I say that with only a little bit of bias.  He really is amazing!  He's smart and funny.  He's weird in the best sense of the word.  He loves all things comic book and has proclaimed himself a "gamer".  He likes to play "Vampire" or "Zombie".  What kid does that?! 

He has the most magnetic eyes I have ever seen.  They are light chocolate brown and they melt my heart.  He knows the difference between right and wrong and finds it really hard to accept when other kids make the wrong choice or "wrong" him.  He gets really upset when others don't say, "Good game" at the end of a backyard baseball game. 

Dario is sensitive and gets his feelings hurt easily.  He is fiercely loyal to his friends.  Having said all that, I have come to the conclusion that my son will probably never be athletically competitive like I would wish.  He would rather dive into a video game or play Marvel heros with these.  Sure, he will go along with a game of baseball or football, but given the choice he would rather pretend to be a secret agent or an alien from Ben 10.  He is rarely without a costume of some sort.  A dragon, Wolverine, Captain America, Ultimate Humongasaur or Sonic the Hedgehog are his usual disguises.

Ultimate Humongasaur
He is so handsome!

I love all these things about him, but have been worried that maybe he wasn't fitting in with his classmates.  This entire school year he has not been invited to a single birthday party or play date for any kid in his class.  I started to think that maybe he would start to talk about his video games or his comic book stuff too much and the other boys wanted to talk about sports or whatever else other kids talk about.  He has friends, of course.  His best friend, Ethan, is 9.  Dario loves him so much.  He looks up to him and would much rather be at Ethan's house than his own.  They have been best friends since Dario was born.  They both are into the same things.  They could play for hours and hours without needing much more than a snack and something to drink every so often.  It is awesome that he has such a good friend that "gets" him, but since they are not in the same class or even the same school he doesn't get to see him as much as we would like.

Then, it happened!  This past Saturday while we were at Ethan's birthday party, I got a call from a boy in Dario's class' mom.  She wanted to know if Dario wanted to come over and play with Colt.  We have taken Colt to the Children's Museum before, but Dario has never been invited over to a friends house from school!  Luckily, the party was ending and we could take him over to Colt's house on our way home.  Dario was so excited!  I mean, Ethan's birthday party AND an invite to play at Colt's house in one day!!! 

When we got to Colt's house I talked with his mom and she told me that Colt doesn't talk about any other kids in the class except for Dario. His parents were so excited that the boys could play together. 

We had signed Dario up for baseball for this spring.  Colt's dad is a coach, which we didn't know about.  He saw Dario's name on the list of kids and picked him for his team.  He said it made Colt happy to have Dario on his team.  I talked with Colt's mom about helping out with the team.  She seemed so happy for Colt to have a friend on the team. 

They offered to bring Dario home after a little bit so James and I went home with Janie.  A few hours later Colt's mom called and I talked to Dario.  He wanted to spend the night!  While I was glad that he felt comfortable enough there to stay the night, I still wasn't ready for him to be away from me all night with someone that I really only knew for a few minutes.  I'm sure they are fine people and great parents, but I'm pretty picky about who my kids stay the night with.  I said I wanted him home and they brought him home about 30 minutes later.  I said we would plan a sleep over in a few weeks.  Dario was mad at me for not letting him stay.  I'm so glad that he has made a friend in his class.  It is so nice to know that he can make friends!

Just a little video displaying the awesomeness that is my kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment