Monday, February 20, 2012

Parenting is hard!

So the first week of my 17 day diet and I am still alive, which is nice.  Honestly, it has not been that bad.  I have noticed some cravings for ice cream, but for the most part I am adjusting pretty well.  Valentines day was Tuesday which was day 2 of my diet.  Not good!  My fella had chocolate dipped strawberries delivered and I would have felt awful if I didn't eat them.  I mean, how ungrateful right?!  They were delicious!  I was proud of myself though.  I ate the strawberries and than got right back on the wagon.  I know I said I wouldn't weigh myself until this first phase is over, but I am an instant gratification kind of a girl.  Which is why I have so much weight to lose in the first place.  So, I weighed myself yesterday and I am already down 5.5 lbs!  I have made some modifications to the diet because I am breastfeeding.  I have added a few more calories which come from low fat yogurt and 1-2 more servings of fruit.  I have really noticed how many calories I used mindlessly though.  Just in my morning coffee each day I would have had at least 100 added calories from Bailey's creamer.  Anyway, I am really happy with the results so far. 
Now onto the title of my post.  Parenting is hard!!!  This week was a real challenge with Dario.  He has been having a hard time at school keeping still and focused.  His teacher is such a sweet lady and has been really working with him, but he has told me for a week that he has had no problems when in fact he has had to be constantly reminded to stop distracting other students and to be quiet.  Lying is not tolerated in the Ferrentino house!  His dad and I have had to strip his room leaving only his desk, bed and dresser.  No toys, tv or ds.  I cried myself to sleep that night.  I hate being a responsible parent.  It would be so much easier if I just let him do what he wanted and didn't stick to punishments at all.  I truly know that we are doing the right thing, but I still hate it.  He is such a great kid and he has a sweet heart.  It's times like this that I wish I could drown my mommy-sorrows in a tub of my favorite ice cream.  But, I didn't.  Instead, I ate some pistachios and called it a night.  Oh, and I snuck into bed with him and cuddled him.  It made me feel better.

1 comment:

  1. My oldest son has the same kinds of struggles at school. If his teacher is too sweet, that may be the problem. Some children don't respond to that well because they know that the teacher is afraid to lay down the law. He has always been a better student for a stricter teacher, and he responds better at home when we enforce the standards.

    ReplyDelete